11 thoughts on “Airbrake: The error app”

  1. Surprised you hadn’t seen this, Geoloqi used it & put together an early PHP implementation.

    Funny how these helper tools all seem to come out of the Rails space though. This, Exceptional, New Relic … makes me wonder if the PHP realm hasn’t needed to build many of these or if I just don’t know of PHP versions.

      1. I wasn’t going to say it, but yes…

        Putting aside the subjective measurement of “real,” I’ve always speculated why the systems-level work of devops & that needs tools like these is so uncommon with PHP. I think it’s because so many PHP apps/frameworks insulate the developer from the command line. I’m still surprised how frequently I meet PHP & WordPress devs who run big sites & plugins, but still dev on MAMP & deploy via FTP.

        (BTW, your new/current theme hides the reply link for threaded comments on the frontend)

      2. The main reason I’ve found is that the PHP community is more focused on shipping, while the Rails community is more focused on shipping well-crafted, “cool”, abstract solutions. DRY and all that shit.

        When the latter works, it’s a real treat for the beaten developer soul. If it doesn’t work, it’s a mess. And of course, the old ways are always here to keep us out of trouble and continue shipping 🙂

  2. We use this at the Times. Really invaluable to track when things go wrong. There’s a nice JS library too that can catch page exceptions.

  3. This is great Ben, I’d wondered when Airbrake would make a WordPress plugin. Should prevent issues from people including multiple copies of Airbrake’s PHP API.

    The plugin function is good & simple, just like the basic API but WordPress’ier.

    One thing I notice is you included your submodule’s .git folder in the WordPress SVN repo (not really something you did, that’s default submodule behavior): http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/airbrake/trunk/classes/airbrake-php/. Until I found it the corrupt repo message it causes lead to a bit of concern for me. In the short run that’s not a huge deal, but submodules are a bit of a pain. Would you consider updating your deploy-to-WP-SVN process to strip .git, or maybe just create a pseudo-submodule, http://debuggable.com/posts/git-fake-submodules:4b563ee4-f3cc-4061-967e-0e48cbdd56cb

    Minor community standards thing too, http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/capital_P_dangit

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s